3 soldiers dead, 19 wounded in Sulu clashes

MANILA, Philippines – At least three soldiers have been killed and 19 wounded since fighting erupted on Monday in Sulu between government troops and a faction of the Abu Sayyaf group holding three kidnapped workers of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a military spokesman said Tuesday.

“As of today, as of [the] last report, we have a total of 19 wounded, some slightly wounded, some seriously wounded…and we have three killed in action [as] a result of series of engagements starting yesterday [Monday] until this morning,” Brigadier General Gaudencio Pangilinan, chief of the military’s Civil Relations Service, said at a press briefing.

Pangilinan said the wounded soldiers included four who were hurt when troops of Special Operations Platoon 3, Marine Battalion Landing Team 3 clashed with between 50 to 90 fighters believed to be the main Abu Sayyaf force holding Swiss Andreas Notter, Italian Eugenio Vagni, and Filipino Mary Jean Lacaba in the vicinity of Barangay (village) Buton Mahablo, Parang town around 5:30 a.m.

He said the military had no idea how many casualties the Abu Sayyaf suffered in the clash.

In Sulu, provincial police director Senior Superintendent Julasirim Kasim said fighting was continuing in Indanan town, in the area of Tubig Dacula and Bud Taran as of 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The fighting broke out Monday when Albader Parad, the leader of the Abu SAyyaf faction holding the aid workers, tried to break through a cordon of soldiers and civilian volunteers.

General Nelson Allaga, chief of the Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom), said soldiers had captured in Tabug Dacula what is believed to be an Abu Sayyaf camp.

However, although Allaga said the soldiers recovered some books belonging to the ICRC team, the hostages and their captors were no longer in the camp. Pangilinan also said the kidnapped aid workers’ tents and other equipment had been recovered.

“We recovered their tents and other equipment that we gave them,” Pangilinan told reporters.

But Kasim disputed reports the hostages’ belongings had been recovered.

There have been conflicting reports about whether Parad was wounded or killed in Monday’s fighting, although most of the accounts say he was apparently shot by a government sniper.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sulu Governor Sakur Tan said Parad could have been killed in the fighitng. “All our sources confirm that he was killed,” Tan said in a radio interview on DzRH. Pangilinan also suggested Parad was dead.

But Kasim said Parad was only wounded on Monday, a claim backed up by a Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net) involved in the operation who said it was an aide of the Abu Sayyaf leader who died.

Kasim also said Parad’s brother-in-law Magdar Dukabo was seriously wounded in the fighting, while a police informant said three members of Parad’s group were killed and an undetermined number wounded.

Tan said the three hostages were not with the fighters the soldiers encountered. “They are safe and as of the latest information that we have, they are in good condition,” and have adequate food and medicines, Tan said.

Tan is the head of TasK Force ICRC, tasked to facilitate the release of the three hostages, who were seized near the Sulu provincial capitol on January 15.

But Pangilinan said the hostages were with the group, although the government forces involved in the clash were not aware of this at the time.

“But now we know that they are intact in one group, the Abu Sayyaf and the hostages,” he said.

“We learned later that they [the hostages] were nearby” during the clash. “Now they have moved locations, they are being pursued.

“They have moved I think around two or three kilometers from the original encounter site.”

The ICRC said on Tuesday they had not received word from any of the three ICRC captives, Filipino Jean Lacaba, Swiss Andreas Notter and Italian Eugenio Vagni.

The Abu Sayyaf has been blamed for the country’s worst terrorist attacks, including the 2004 bombing of a passenger ferry that killed over 100 on Manila Bay.

It has kidnapped dozens of foreigners, businessmen and religious workers over the past decade and is on the US government’s list of foreign terrorist organizations.

It is also blamed for the deaths of two Americans seized from a Philippine resort in 2001, one of whom was beheaded.

Elsewhere, the military said an Abu Sayyaf grenade attack on a karaoke bar late Monday on Jolo killed two people and wounded at least four, and indicated it may have been a diversionary tactic.

Julie Alipala, PDI Mindanao Bureau and
Katherine Evangelista, INQUIRER.net
with reports from Agence France-Presse

Advertisements
Published in: on March 17, 2009 at 2:14 pm  Comments Off on 3 soldiers dead, 19 wounded in Sulu clashes  
Tags: ,
%d bloggers like this: