ICRC kidnappers to AFP: Stop operations or else…

MANILA – The leader of the group that abducted the three Red Cross workers in southern Philippines on Wednesday threatened that something would be done with the hostages if the military would not stop its operations in Sulu province.

Radio dzBB’s Benjie Alejandro said the threat came from no less than Albader Parad, the leader of the Abu Sayyaf faction that are currently holding Italian Eugenio Vagni, Swiss Andreas Notter and Filipino Mary-Jean Lacaba, all members of the International Committee on the Red Cross (ICRC).

Alejandro, who claimed to have talked with Parad through phone, said the terrorist leader warned that they would do something with the hostages if the military would not stop its operations in Sulu.

The report said Parad promised to negotiate with the government once the government heeded their demand.

Sporadic clashes between government troops and Abu Sayyaf rebels have been ongoing since Monday in the island province, but the military denied that it was conducting rescue operations to free the three hostages.

The military claimed to have hit Parad in Monday’s encounter in Indanan. On Tuesday, a man who identified himself as Parad phoned dzEC radio and said he was indeed hurt in the encounter but only “slightly.”

The Abu Sayyaf had earlier demanded the pullout of military troops in Sulu for the release of the three hostages, who were abducted last January 15. The military has refused to heed the demand.

GMANews.TV

Advertisements
Published in: on March 18, 2009 at 8:47 pm  Comments Off on ICRC kidnappers to AFP: Stop operations or else…  
Tags: ,
%d bloggers like this: