ICRC demands proof of life

MANILA, Philippines –The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has demanded proof that its three kidnapped aid workers are still alive.

ICRC Asia-Pacific chief Alain Aeschlimann, In a statement posted on the agency’s website, said they want to talk to Mary-Jean Lacaba, Eugenio Vagni, and Andreas Notter as soon as possible, noting that they have not made contact with them since last week.

“We have taken note of reports that the kidnappers’ threat was not carried out. A lot of rumors are circulating, however. We hope we can speak to Mary Jean, Eugenio and Andreas as soon as possible,” Aeschlimann said.

The kidnappers had threatened to behead one of the workers on Tuesday. A few hours after the 2-pm deadline passed, there were reports that one of the hostages was killed.

The kidnappers did not carry out the threat, but the ICRC has yet to make contact with the workers.

Kristine L. Alave, Philippine Daily Inquirer

Advertisements
Published in: on April 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm  Comments Off on ICRC demands proof of life  
Tags: ,
%d bloggers like this: