Nearly 2,500 flee homes due to military operations in Sulu

MANILA, Philippines — Nearly 600 families or 2,439 individuals have fled their homes since government forces started operations against the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu province.

The National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) said that as of April 3, 597 families or 2,439 people mainly from Kagay village in Indanan town had been displaced.

“Ongoing law enforcement activities in Sulu province caused the displacement of 597 families or 2,439 persons who mainly came from Barangay Kagay, Indanan, Sulu. They were forced to evacuate in order to avoid being caught in the crossfire because the place is near the camp of lawless elements,” the NDCC said in its report dated April 3 but posted on its Web site Saturday.

Of the total affected, 96 families or 480 persons are staying in three evacuation centers.

The evacuation centers included Lambayong multi-purpose hall where 49 families or 245 people are staying; Poblacion ACC Building where 21 families or 105 people are staying; and Lampaki Elementary School where 26 families or 130 people are staying.

Others took shelter with relatives at “safer” villages such as Bato Bato and Siunugan in Indanan, the NDCC said.

Sulu has been under a state of emergency since Tuesday, after the Abu Sayyaf issued a deadline for the pullout of government troops in exchange for the release of three Red Cross workers.

Last Thursday, the Abu Sayyaf released Mary Jean Lacaba, but have threatened to kill Eugenio Vagni and Andreas Notter.

GMANews.TV

Advertisements
Published in: on April 4, 2009 at 2:21 pm  Comments Off on Nearly 2,500 flee homes due to military operations in Sulu  
Tags: ,
%d bloggers like this: