Expect good developments on ICRC kidnapping crisis – Sulu gov

The head of the crisis management committee addressing the kidnapping of the members of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Sulu said on Wednesday that he is expecting good and positive developments in the next period.

The remarks of Sulu Gov. Abdusakur Tan came after a meeting with Interior and Local Government Secretary Ronaldo Puno and top police officials in the region.

(more…)

Advertisements
Published in: on April 9, 2009 at 1:20 am  Comments Off on Expect good developments on ICRC kidnapping crisis – Sulu gov  
Tags: ,

Military says Abu Sayyaf ‘financiers’ identified

[kyte.tv appKey=MarbachViewerEmbedded&uri=channels/70221/399865&tbid=k_1253&premium=false&height=445&width=425]

Published in: on April 8, 2009 at 11:58 pm  Comments Off on Military says Abu Sayyaf ‘financiers’ identified  
Tags: ,

7 ICRC kidnap suspects released

MANILA, Philippines – For lack of evidence, the seven suspects in the kidnapping of three Red Cross workers were released Wednesday but would be subjected to further investigation by the Zamboanga City prosecutor’s office, a police spokesman confirmed.

Superintendent Jose Gucela of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operation (DIPO) in Western Mindanao, said the seven, which included three policemen, were ordered released by fiscal Peter Medalle at around 3:30 p.m. for “lack of prima facie evidence” on their involvement in the kidnapping of Mary Jean Lacaba, Eugenio Vagni, and Andreas Notter of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

(more…)

Published in: on April 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm  Comments Off on 7 ICRC kidnap suspects released  
Tags: ,

3 foreigners targeted in Jolo kidnap

MANILA, Philippines—Government troops have targeted a Malaysian and two Indonesian members of the al Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah in a crackdown on some 100 members and supporters of the Abu Sayyaf kidnappers holding two Red Cross workers, officials said Tuesday.

Lt. Gen. Nelson Allaga, Western Mindanao Command chief, identified the Indonesians as Umar Patek and Dulmatin, who allegedly helped plot the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings in Indonesia that killed 202 people in Southeast Asia’s worst terrorist attack.

(more…)

Published in: on April 8, 2009 at 3:01 am  Comments Off on 3 foreigners targeted in Jolo kidnap  
Tags: ,

Abus demanding $5 million for hostages’ release

MANILA, Philippines – The Abu Sayyaf had demanded $5 million or more than P200 million for the release of three kidnapped workers of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a military document shows.

The document, which details the kidnap-for-ransom activities perpetrated by the Abu Sayyaf since 2003, was apparently prepared prior to the release on Thursday last week of one of the three ICRC workers Mary Jean Lacaba.

(more…)

Published in: on April 8, 2009 at 2:00 am  Comments Off on Abus demanding $5 million for hostages’ release  
Tags: ,

PNRC denies giving ransom for Lacaba

[kyte.tv appKey=MarbachViewerEmbedded&uri=channels/48209/398921&tbid=k_12109&premium=false&height=445&width=425]

Published in: on April 7, 2009 at 11:38 pm  Comments Off on PNRC denies giving ransom for Lacaba  
Tags: ,

100 persons hunted in anti-Abu Sayyaf drive

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – At least a hundred individuals are included on a list of people targeted by government’s crackdown on the Abu Sayyaf and its supporters in Sulu, officials said Tuesday.

The list, according to Lieutenant General Nelson Allaga, chief of the Western Mindanao Command, includes Indonesians Umar Patek, Dulmatin and Marwan, who have been identified as members of the Southeast Asian terror network Jemaah Islamiyah.

(more…)

Published in: on April 7, 2009 at 5:41 pm  Comments Off on 100 persons hunted in anti-Abu Sayyaf drive  
Tags: ,

Sulu hostage crisis displaces 1,443 families

MANILA, Philippines – The crisis triggered by the kidnapping of three workers of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Sulu has displaced 1,443 families, or 6,963 persons, the director of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Region 9 said Tuesday.

Adriano Fuego said the number of displaced people is as of 2 p.m. Tuesday.

(more…)

Published in: on April 7, 2009 at 5:33 pm  Comments Off on Sulu hostage crisis displaces 1,443 families  
Tags: ,

No ransom paid for Lacaba, says Red Cross

The Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) reiterated Tuesday that no ransom was paid for the safe release of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) worker Mary Jean Lacaba last week.

Alex Rosete, PNRC communication head, issued the denial following reports that some P5.5 million was paid in exchange of the freedom of Lacaba, one of the three ICRC workers the Abu Sayyaf bandit group kidnapped last January 15.

(more…)

Published in: on April 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm  Comments Off on No ransom paid for Lacaba, says Red Cross  
Tags: ,

2 Red Cross workers may be freed this week, Sulu gov says

MANILA, Philippines – Abu Sayyaf bandits may release this week the two International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) workers they have been holding captive for almost three months, Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan said Tuesday.

A report over QTV’s Balitanghali quoted Tan as saying that the bandits appear to have softened after they released Filipina Red Cross worker Mary Jean Lacaba on April 2.

(more…)

Published in: on April 7, 2009 at 1:41 pm  Comments Off on 2 Red Cross workers may be freed this week, Sulu gov says  
Tags: ,